The Process of Getting a Driving License in Islamabad
Do you need to get a driving license in Islamabad? You should know that you need to apply for a learner's permit before applying for a regular license. All new drivers have to complete the obligatory training period of 6 weeks before they can apply for an ordinary license.
Things to Consider When Applying for a Driving License in Islamabad
You should go to the ITP office early so you don't have to wait. When you get there, make sure you have all your paperwork and things with you. It is very hard to get a license in one visit because many people come every day and the office only issues around 150 licenses each day.
In 2006, Prime Minister of Pakistan Shaukat Aziz started ITP Islamabad. Since then, ITP has been trying to make traffic better in the capital city. If you want a license for driving in Islamabad, you must have an address on your computerized NICs that is from Islamabad.
There are different rules for people who live in other districts. You can't get a driver's license unless you have an affidavit from relatives living in Islamabad. Or the person who works for someone else in Islamabad can confirm that they will take care of you. If you have a card for your company that is based here, then also you can get a driver's license.
Now, let us take a look at all the steps you have to take for getting a learner's permit and a permanent driving license.
The fee schedule for driving licenses, according to the official website of ITP, is as follows:
- Fee for learner’s permit valid for six months (each category): PKR 300
- Fee for Professional License (M. Cycle + LTV/HTV or PSV): PKR 1500
- Fee for issue of Professional License (single category): PKR 1200
- Fee for issue of Non-Professional License (Motorcycle or Motorcycle + M. Car/Jeep): PKR 1200
- Urgent Card Printing Fee (not including other prescribed fees): PKR 400
- Driving Test Fee: PKR 200
- Digital Driving License Card Fee: PKR 400
From Where Can You Get the License?
Islamabad Traffic Police Headquarters
- Address: 9th Ave, F 8/1 F-8, Islamabad, 44220, Pakistan
- Working Hours: Monday to Thursday: 8 AM–1:15 PM, 2–5 PM
- Saturday and Sunday: Closed
- Original NIC (Your permanent or temporary address should be of Islamabad)
- Photocopy of your NIC
- Medical Fitness Certificate or Form B: This form must be filled by a registered medical practitioner. You will also need to put a passport-sized photo on this form.
Steps to Get a Leaner’s Driving License in Islamabad
Here is what you need to do to get a learner’s driving license:
- You need to meet the Islamabad Traffic Police in person. They are located at F-8, Islamabad. Remember to bring your medical certificate when you go there.
- Park your vehicle at the building on the other side of the street. Show your ID and then get a token from the person behind the desk.
- Wait in the hallway until your number is called. Then go to the counter and give them all of your information. Make sure that everything is correct before you do it.
- Once you enter your vehicle information, you will receive a learner's permit. After this, you will need to take a one-hour class on driving safety.
- After this class, the instructor will sign and stamp your license.
- After 42 days of the issuance of this permit, go to the Islamabad Traffic Police office again. You need to take a driving test. Bring your own car for this test.
Steps to Get a Permanent Driving License in Islamabad
After you pass the ITP traffic signs test and driving test, you will get a 5-year driving license. To get this, follow these steps:
- After 42 days, you will need to visit the ITP office again.
- You need to take your original NIC and learner's permit. Plus, you need three of each. Get a token by showing your original NIC at the reception counter adjacent to the parking area.
- Wait for your token number to show up. Come to the counter when it does. The computer will then take a picture of you and save your fingerprints on the system.
- Obtain the test form and keep the photocopies of your NIC and learner's permit along.
- For all people who want to take the theory test on the touch screen, go to the touch screen room.
Theory Test via Touch Screen
Here is how you can take the touch screen test for your license:
- Touch screens can be used to take a test for road signs. The test is 4 minutes long.
- Applicants need to answer 10 questions. Each question is worth 10 points.
- If you answer 7 out of 10 questions, that means you pass the test.
- If you don't want to take the test online, then you can do it by hand at the ITP office.
If you pass the road sign test, you need to pass the driving test. This test is conducted in a traffic theme park where people drive cars. You can take your test on a day that is assigned by the licensing inspector's office for this location. Then you will receive your license no slip with an assigned date to pick up your license at the delivery counter.
You can use your bank account to pay for all of the charges and other fees.
Getting Islamabad’s Driving License in a Day!
As of January 2019, people in the capital city can get a driving license within one day. The government will deliver it to them at normal fees. This announcement was made by Minister of State for Interior, Shehryar Afridi. He said that the government is moving towards the digitization of all official processes.
The minister thanked INL for providing the machine. It will make it faster for people to get licenses. He said that it is important to take steps so that nobody gets around the law and everyone is treated fairly.
All the applicants visiting the license center are welcomed warmly by the Islamabad Traffic Police. So go get your driving license today!